January 1, 2006



Seven Simple Resolutions

By Katherine Torok

As we come into the new year we like to make changes. Many of us do this by making resolutions for ourselves. Not anything huge like saving the world but small things that affect the quality of our lives. Right now, 14 hours into 2006, I would like to share my resolutions with you which I hope are simple enough for me to keep.

  1. I will not feed my dogs from the table. This only helps them to become fat! The other morning I went to pet my dog Cheyenne and she looked like a bloated rhino!!!
  2. I don't need to spend so much time on the phone talking about absolutely nothing.
  3. I will pick up litter if I see it lying on the ground because it is bad for the environment and it makes our community look cheesy.
  4. I need to stop watching so much television. All that is on it are shows spreading "celebrity gossip" or people eating worms for money. If you need to eat worms for cash you're really desperate.
  5. I should get to sleep earlier, so I can wake up earlier and actually arrive at school "on time". For once!
  6. I can try out for sports teams and clubs at school so that I have a better chance at winning awards for graduation.
  7. And finally, I will write monthly stories for the Monmouth Road blog.

I don't think these resolutions are unrealistic. Do you? I'll keep you updated throughout the year.

About me:

My name is Katherine Torok I am 13 years old. I go to King Edward Public School. When I am not reading a good book or drawing a picture I am most likely hanging out with my friends Victoria, Mariah, Aubree and Alex. I love animals and of course the mall. Thats me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I welcome the addition of Ms Katherine Torok th the editorial staff of our community blog.Although she is perhaps 20 years younger than the average resident on Monmouth: her resolutions for 2006 apply, by permentation to every 30-something rsident.My experience, being 20 years older than the average resident, in contrast to Ms Torok being 20 years younger; observes the validity of her resolutions. Her advice concerning her pet, upon first reading , may appear light weight. Not so. For instance: feeding her dogs from the table contributing to their obesity has adult applications, eating the second serving of a meal reflects the same abuse, ditto the over consumption of takeout. My qualifications as a pundit? As a player at the 2005 Monmouth Bowl
at 53 years of age, 17 years older than the next oldest player, I am proof of my advice. May I also comment that Ms Torok is one of the most astute observers of human nature in our neigbourhood, and possesses the bravery to express these opinions, which most of us lack. As a recpient of her insights in verbal form,I hope she will confine them to her editorials, allowing me to reflect on them without social embarrasment. I look forward to her future contributions, and perhaps, in 20 years, if she chooses to pursue jounalism, I will be able to say I knew her before her dominance of the profession. Rand Gibbons

Anonymous said...

My Top 3 Resolutions
1) Wear white after labour day.
2) Become a Pirate. Arrrgggg.
3) Take up Yodeling www.yodelcourse.com

What are yours?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Mr. Rand.... How long did it take you to recover from Monmounth Bowl 2005???????? And that's with the assistance of performance enhancing drugs (self-concocted of course)!!

PS... Are those Little Caesars pizza boxes I see piled up in front of your house on Recycle Day????

Anonymous said...

Yes , Yes,,,, those were Pizza boxes ,,, I considered eating them to cover my tracks ,,, probably would have been better than actual contents,,, drugs helped, but I'm still in a recovery phase,,, will experiment further